Friday, November 2, 2012

That Arab OGRE, Pt. 2

I got a lot of good feedback on the previous post, thank you all. After letting things stew for a day, I thought I'd try one more idea. What if the scimitar didn't include the Main Gun, but was merely the tower? I've been trying to re-invent the wheel, when all I needed was to add a spinner. Or something like that. Sooooo...........one more profile, smaller and this time, made out of brass. (I love to work in brass, I just wish I had all the proper metalworking tools. I have discovered a sanding drum in my Dremel removes brass faster than the grinding wheel. I just treat it as 'very hard plastic'. ) 


I cut slots the thickness of the brass along both sides of the triangular base, then CA'ed them in place. I clipped the top sensor off a 'swimming OGRE,' drilled a hole in it, and attached it to the top. If this does turn out to be the accepted version, I will flow solder into the bottom joint, then bend the two pieces so the top (front) sides touch. The bottom (rear) sides will remain flared out.

 
 

One other thing has occurred to me, while we're in the Middle East. There will be many areas where sandy terrain might make tracked vehicles like Mobile Howitzers and Missile Tanks difficult to maneuver without bogging down. So I'm considering  Extra-Large GEVs. This is an early mock-up to help me come up with correct sizes. This blank is slightly longer than the PE's biggest GEV, the Seguro GEV-PC, and about twice as wide. Opinions?

 
 
That's all for now. Keep the comments coming.
 
Oh, and Ashley, er I mean Bruce, I dis-figured the OGRE above just for you. Not much, but..........baby steps, baby steps.
Don

6 comments:

  1. Work in the material that works best for you is what I say Bruce.

    Looking a lot better, but the proportions of the scimitar need, IMNSHO, not to overwhelm the original model.

    So, I think the the shape is a little too large and needs a bit of refining. Okay Bruce/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, this tower is no taller than the standard 'shark fin' tower, though I can see where you might think the blade is too thick from top to bottom. I think I'll try the solder first before thinning it down.

      Don

      Delete
  2. PS: Actually, I think I'd be called Sheila, rather than Bruce, if you get my drift Bruce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPS: Are you going to add hover tread units to the OGRE too Bruce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just three words----Google 'ZUBR Hovercraft.'

      Don

      Delete